What is Muslim-Friendly?
Muslim-friendly means safe/suitable for Muslims to enjoy. This is a common term used in Muslim-minority countries like Japan where a lot of products and manufacturer have little knowledge about the Muslim world and Halal certification. Although the product has no Halal certification, it has been checked to be safe for Muslims 's consumption.
We are not a Halal certification organization; most of the included items are not halal-certified. BUT we curate based on this policy:
- Each item is checked and verified by our Muslim staff
- We check the labels and confirm with the manufacturers before use for ingredients and production lines
- We only check the sources for the Doubtful ingredients and until their primary raw materials.
Our selection of snacks are guaranteed:
What Do We Mean by Syubhah
Syubhah means Doubtful ingredients with unknown base material. For example, a Shoyu (soy sauce) may contain alcohol in it. Hence, soy sauce with unconfirmed production status is considered Syubhah.
In such cases, we confirm with the manufacturer:
1) if the Shoyu use alcoholic drinks
2) In the finished product, how much is the ethanol content in the Shoyu
Another example is Emulsifier. Many food items contain this ingredient and it can be derived from animal or plants. In this case, we contact the manufacturer to check if the source is from plant/vegetable.
To make sure about the sources of such Syubhah ingredients, the JAPANeid Curation team always contact the manufacturer by phone or e-mail beforehand.
Our Muslim-related Activities
Did you know? Before JAPANeid was launched, everything started from Salam Groovy Japan, a Muslim-friendly Japanese media outlet delivering Muslim-friendly/ Halal info of Japan. In hope of increasing the Muslim-friendly options of Japan, JAPANeid was born!
Salam Groovy Japan aspire to not only share information on the web, but also to connect with the Muslim community.
In line with this, we have been engaged in contributing to the community with charitable activities, such as for Eid and Iftar.
- Salam Groovy Japan gifted halal Hida beef for Ramadan (Iftar in 2020)
- Eid gift for Muslims at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (Eid2021)
- Halal Japanese food to Muslim in Osaka for Eid (Eid2021)
- Covid food aid for Muslims campaign via crowdfunding (2021)
- Donation to Otsuka Masjid
- Food donation to Indonesian interns at Matsuyama Kozai
- 600 Japanese halal food donation (Eid2022)
You can check out our sister media Salam Groovy Japan here!